Legal help/probate

You may be the person left with the responsibility of administering the estate of the person who has died if you are their executor or next of kin. If a person dies with assets over £5,000 you may need to obtain a grant of probate.

There are specialist companies to assist or you may use your solicitor – both will take a fee out of the estate. Some people obtain the grant themselves. The process, however, can be very complicated.